I recently faced a font rendering issue in Ubuntu. Though I used to have
these problems before back then I used to fix these by installing the appropriate languages
from Regional and Language settings. But it didn’t work this time. I then researched
on it and have come across the following solution that might be helpful to other
having the same problem like mine. It had to follow all the way upto solution5 to get this
My System specifications:
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
– From Regional and Language settings install Nepali (macrolanguage). Apply
this system wide.
– if everything is fine you should see correct rendering of the Devnagiri fonts
in google chrome. This doesn’t need the logout/login to see the change.
Installed the Nepali (macrolanguage) but still you are facing the same font
rendering problem then you might want to try the below solutions one by one.
– remove/rename the font that might be causing the issue.
– I preferred to rename the font instead of delete.
$ sudo mv /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSerif.ttf /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSerif.ttf.backup $ sudo mv /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf.backup
– for details on why it might work, see http://askubuntu.com/questions/97639/hindi-font-problem-in-chrome
– Some websites by default use Mangal.ttf fonts that are unicode devnagiri fonts. And thus installing this font locally solves most of the rendering issue. BBC Nepali uses this font and thus if you are having problem with BBC Nepali you might want to give it a try.
– During research, I also came across this bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webbrowser-app/+bug/1378184)
in Ubuntu which is quite not related to the problem specified here. But I thought
to give it a try by installing the fonts-lohit-deva
– Try to install the fonts-lohit-dev and see if this solves your problem
$ sudo apt-get install fonts-lohit-dev
– install fontconfig-infinality and use its setstyle to linux
– please refer to this link for the instructions on how to do it.