Category Archives: Magento

Magento API Error “invalid API Path”

I have extensibly working with Magento APIs lately. At one instance I got error “invalid API path”. After some digging around, I found the solutions and issue that caused it.

This issue is caused when the magento API call is not defined in the XML definition of the API file. The original API call was “catalog_product.create” and I used “product_catalog.create” so this was the reason for “invalid API Path” error in Magento API.

Hope this information helps.

[Solved] FAILED ERROR: Magento is already installed

Explanation:
We get this error when re-trying to install magento. This happens because magento stores the log of the previous installation date and before carrying out installation process again it checks for previous installations and it does so by checking the date which is stored inside the xml file → app/etc/local.xml.

Code Snippet from local.xml file

<config>
    <global>
        <install>
            <date><![CDATA[Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:14:24 +0000]]></date>
        </install>
        <crypt>
            <key><![CDATA[83bf8a0a3ed2788db79e121c00f1cebb]]></key>
        </crypt>
        <disable_local_modules>false</disable_local_modules>
        <resources>
            <db>
                <table_prefix><![CDATA[]]></table_prefix>
            </db>
            <default_setup>
                <connection>
                    <host><![CDATA[localhost]]></host>
                    <username><![CDATA[root]]></username>
                    <password><![CDATA[]]></password>
                    <dbname><![CDATA[magento]]></dbname>
                    <active>1</active>
                </connection>
            </default_setup>
        </resources>
        <session_save><![CDATA[db]]></session_save>
    </global>
    <admin>
        <routers>
            <adminhtml>
                <args>
                    <frontName><![CDATA[admin]]></frontName>
                </args>
            </adminhtml>
        </routers>
    </admin>
</config>

Solutions:
There are two solutions for this problem.

  1. Delete the local.xml file entirely, Re-installation will create this file again.
  2. Edit the file local.xml and delete the date portion (line 4)

Make this portion of code snippet

 <date><![CDATA[Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:14:24 +0000]]></date>

to look like this, See the difference, I just delete d everything in between CDATA[].

 <date><![CDATA[]]></date>

Re-installing the magento will fill it again. That’s it. Now you should be able to install magento as usual visiting the page http://magentotest.com/magento/install.php

Hope this helps you.